It is day 2 of my clean eating week. And today I want to talk to you about something I find really important in a clean eating diet: LEFTOVERS. Eating clean also means wasting as little food as you can and using leftovers is a good way to save food. I will give you a few examples today but it is pretty simple, you just have to be a bit creative and try new and different recipes.
I had to have a blood test this morning, which means no food in my belly until 9 am 🙁 , which for me is pretty hard as I usually eat breakfast around 7 am. Back from the doctors I was obviously pretty hungry 🙂 I decided to make some oats with fruits and nuts.
Good morning oats
Prep Time: 5 minutes
Serving Size: 1 serving
- 1 cup oats
- 1 cup unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup Greek yogurt
- 1/2 cup fresh blueberries
- 1-2 Tbsp unsweetened coconut flakes
- 1 tsp bee pollen
- 1 Tbsp chia seeds
- 1/3 cup pecan nuts
- Mix oats, almond milk and chia seeds in a microwavable bowl.
- Heat it for 90 seconds in the microwave.
- Add Greek yogurt to the bowl and mix well.
- Garnish with fresh blueberries, bee pollen, pecan nuts and coconut flakes.
- You can also add some bananas as topping or mash them with the oats.
For lunch I had leftovers from yesterday butternut squash soup (find the recipe here).
A few days ago my mom made some spaghetti bolognese for dinner. She always makes lots of sauce so we had leftovers in the fridge. I saw some pretty yellow, round zucchinis at the shop and decided to make some stuffed zucchini for dinner. I used the leftover bolognese sauce mixed with the zucchini flesh for the filling and some quinoa as a side.
Round stuffed zucchini
Prep Time: 20 minutes
Cook time: 15 minutes
Serving Size: 3 servings
- 3 round zucchinis
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 small yellow onion
- 1 garlic clove
- 300 gr ground chicken or turkey
- 1 can peeled tomatoes
- 1/2 little can tomato paste
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- 1 tsp fresh thyme
- 1 tsp fresh rosemary
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1/2 – 1 tsp chili flakes
- salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 180°C (360°F).
- Cut the top of the zucchinis and empty the flesh with a spoon.
- Mix the flesh in a blender until smooth.
- In a pot, melt coconut oil on medium-high heat.
- Sautee onion and garlic until soft.
- Add chicken or turkey mince and break it in small pieces while it cooks.
- When mince is nearly cooked through, add herbs and spices.
- Add peeled tomatoes, tomato paste, and zucchinis’ flesh.
- Let it simmer on low heat for about 10 minutes.
- Fill zucchinis with the sauce and put them in a baking dish.
- Bake for 15 minutes and serve with quinoa or brown rice.
There you have it: day 2 of my clean eating diary! What do you think about the food so far? Have you tried any recipe?