I love meatless day! It gives me a chance to create vegetarian meals full of goodness. This week I made some eggplant and chickpea meatless balls and serve them on a bed of spiralized zucchini with a delicious tomato sauce.
Spiralizing veggies is pretty cool, you have the feeling of eating pasta or noodle but less the carbs and calories! These meatless balls seriously look like meatballs, they are firm on the outside and smooth on the inside! Trust me, you have to try this recipe if you want an alternative to your usual spaghetti meatballs.
Eggplant is the star ingredient of this dish and there are plenty of reasons to love this purple vegetable:
- First of all it is packed with vitamins and minerals like calcium, iron,…
- Eggplants also contain some phytonutrients good for your blood circulation and brain health.
- It is low in calories (less than 35 a cup), has no fat and contains fibre which helps you make you feel full.
- Eggplants are high in bioflavonoids, which help control high blood pressure and relieve stress.
- Thanks to the vitamin K they contain, regular consumption of eggplants can help prevent blood cloth by strengthening capillaries.
- 2 medium eggplants
- 2 eggs, whisked
- 2 garlic cloves, crushed
- ½ tsp sea salt
- ⅓ cup grated parmesan cheese
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 1 can (130 gr) chickpeas
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil, chopped
- 1 Tbsp fresh parsley, chopped
- ½ cup gluten free all purpose flour
- a pinch of red chili flakes
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1 Tbsp coconut oil
- 1 large zucchini
- 1 can diced tomatoes or 4 diced fresh tomatoes
- 1 garlic clove, crushed
- 1 little can tomato paste
- 1 medium yellow onion
- 1 tsp fresh oregano
- 1 Tbsp fresh basil
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1-2 tsp Arrabbiata spices
- Preheat oven to 350°F (180°C).
- Cut eggplants in half and place them on a baking sheet, inside up and bake for about 40 min.
- Remove from oven, let cool and using a spoon, scoop out the inside flesh and mash it. Discard skin.
- Rinse and drain chickpeas and then mash them.
- Put eggs in a large bowl and whisk. Add garlic, salt, parmesan cheese, breadcrumbs, herbs, and mashed eggplant and chickpeas.
- Using your hands press mixture together into 2”-2½” size balls.
- Place coconut oil in a pan on medium heat.
- Dip your balls in flour and the put them in the pan.
- Let them cook for about 2-3 min on each side or until they are golden brown.
- Spiralized zucchinis, put salt on them and let them drain their water for about 15 minutes.
- While you are waiting, put a little bit of olive oil in a pot on medium heat and saute onion until soft. Add garlic and saute for 1 more minute. Add diced tomatoes, tomato paste, herbs, and spices. Let it simmer for 10 minutes.
- Squeeze the last bit of moisture out of the zucchinis and add them to the sauce for the last 3 minutes of cooking.
- When everything is ready, set your meatless balls on top of your zucchini and sauce.
- Bon appétit!